Thursday, June 9, 2011

When to Start Solids and...Baby Poop :)

At Isaiah's 4 month appointment, Dr. Chu and I discussed when to start solid foods with Isaiah. In general, most pediatricians say between 4 and 6 months is safe for an infant. Dr. Chu said she believes in starting solids closer to 6 months because she supports the study that indicates starting solid foods too early is linked to childhood obesity. I personally believe childhood obesity comes from lack of exercise and good nutrition but that's a whole other issue.

Regardless of what our pediatrician said, I know it's ultimately up to us as parents to make the decision for our child. No doctor can force you to start solids or give your child anything you aren't comfortable with, right? With that said, Darren and I discussed this before Isaiah was born and decided we want to hold off until he's 6 months. Our reasoning was simply because babies (0-12 months) really only need breast milk or formula to survive so why start early?

Now that Isaiah is old enough to start solids we're still holding off because he clearly isn't having any trouble gaining weight while exclusively breastfeeding. Dr. Chu did suggest that if I can't keep up with Isaiah (meaning if I have to nurse him every 1.5 hours for more than a few days because I'm not producing enough) then try giving him rice cereal (because it's easy on their delicate little tummies) once each day. Then when he's 6 months start introducing fruits and veggies, like squash, carrots, peas, bananas, etc.

So far I'm keeping up with Isaiah's caloric intake no problem. While I'm excited to see his reaction to food for the first time, I feel good about waiting...for now. :)

On a side note, I also discussed Isaiah's pooping habits. He generally poops every other day and I read that's common for breastfed babies. Dr. chu said some breastfed babies will only poop once a week because there is little to no waste with breast milk. And as babies' digestive systems mature along with mommy's changing breast milk, they absorb more and more of its nutrients. Interesting, huh? I guess I can continue to enjoy fewer poopy diapers until will start him on solids too!

No comments:

Post a Comment