Saturday, February 26, 2011

Mama Has Mastitis!

Things were just going a little to smoothly, I guess, because I have mastitis. Mastitis is an infection of the breast tissue and is common in breastfeeding moms between the 2nd and 6th week of post partum. It sucks.

On Monday I was feeling great. I had a friend over and we gossiped for hours. Then toward the late afternoon I felt really worn out so I laid down with Isaiah for a nap. I started getting chills, felt achy, and had a fever of 101. I was kind of freaking out but more for Isaiah - I didn't want him to get it. I think I checked his temp every hour. It never went over 98.6. Darren had to take his mom to the airport early Tuesday morning and came home around 5 and found me in the bed drenched in sweat. I took some Tylenol to break the fever and it seemed to be working. Needless to say I took it way easy on Tuesday.

Darren went online to figure out what it could be (besides the flu) and he came across mastitis. As soon as he said it I knew I had it - my sis had it which is probably the only reason I knew sort of what it was. My left breast was much more tender than the right, there was pink, hot spot on the side, and a hard lump near my armpit. This is also the breast that had the most nipple damage (a nasty crack I'm still trying to get rid of!). I called my OB/GYN on Thursday and told them what was happening and they immediately knew it was mastitis and put me on antibiotics. I'll be on them for 10 days and luckily, I can continue to pump and breastfeed without it harming Isaiah (it actually helps the infection). I'm already feeling much better!

In other news, Isaiah had his first bottle from Darren so I could get my haircut. He took it like a champ but stared at Darren like "Why are you feeding me?" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment