Friday, February 11, 2011

Birth Story

It happened! I had a baby and he is AWESOME! I didn't believe in love at first sight until I met our little man. After 9 long months, here's how he came into the world...

Feb. 8th, 2011 @ 12 a.m.

I called the hospital to see if we could get in for induction, they said come one in! We were at the hospital by 12:30 a.m.

@ 2:30 They inserted the cytotec to "ripen" the cervix and get things moving. It gave me back to back contractions but didn't get me to dilate. The nurse checked me 4 hours later (@ 6:30 a.m.) and I was still 1 cm but because I was having contractions back to back, giving me another dose was a no go.

@ 11 a.m. or so things just weren't going anywhere. I felt like the contractions were very light and asked the nurse what we could do. At this point I felt like we were going to be there forever. She had Dr. Bales come in to see where I was...still 1 cm! Dr. Bales decided to give me a low dose of pitocin to speed things along and hopefully get me to dilate. This really got things moving. And by moving, I mean hurting. :) I spent almost the entire time in labor on the ball, standing up, or sitting on the toilet. Laying in bed was the least comfortable position, plus I was hoping gravity would help assist me in the process.

Our main nurse for the day (we ended up having 5 different ones because 32 babies were born that day), Pauly, kept asking me if I wanted any analgesics to take the edge off. I knew I wanted to get an epidural later and I personally didn't like the idea of over doing it with the pain meds. Plus, I really wanted to be "present" when my son was born. So we said no.

@ 2 p.m. the nurse checked again...only 2 cm! Seriously?! Then, VOILA! While she was checking me my water spontaneously broke...everywhere! I thought I wet my pants but then again, my bladder can't hold that much water! :) The nurse decided to turn off the pitocin completely and let nature pick up where medicine left off.

My water breaking REALLY got things going. Almost immediately I started having really strong contractions (REALLY bad back labor because Isaiah was face up) so I was on the ball rotating my hips, hanging over the bed doing the hula, trying to get Isaiah to turn his head. I got him to turn sideways (and ended up having him turn the rest of the way while I was pushing) but at least he turned enough to relieve some of the pain. The only way I could describe labor pains after experiencing them was that it feels like my insides were trying to come out...which essentially is what's happening. Go figure!

Darren was such a great coach - he kept reminding me to breathe (didn't expect to forget!) and rubbed my back, held my hand, told me I was doing awesome. I don't know what I would've done with him - that's a real man right there! My mom was amazing too. It was so special having her there considering what I was experiencing, she experienced with me exactly 23 years before.

It's also amazing how once labor really starts progressing, you care less and less about your surroundings. All I was focused on was the little boy inside me, preparing to make his entrance. I didn't care that my bum was hanging out or my water (and gunk) was continuing to leak all over the floor. I didn't even care that the monitors kept falling off. Something much greater was taking place.

@ 4 p.m. I was 4 cm (YEAH!) and asked for the epidural. I thought I would've been able to last longer but I had a gut feeling things were going to progress very quickly even though the nurses told me to not anticipate him coming before midnight since it had taken so long to jump start nature. And my goodness, I'm glad I didn't wait because little did we know, it was almost over.

@ 4:30 p.m. I got the epidural. AMAZING! Instant relief of pain but no so strong that I couldn't feel the pressure from the contractions. We turned off the lights and took a 2 hour nap. The nurse came in to check my contractions and Isaiah's heartbeat @ 6:30 p.m. She said that she'd check me at 8:30 p.m. to see how things had progressed, "unless you're curious," she said. We were. :) So she checked me and she said "His head is right there! It's time to have this baby!" My response, "Does he have hair?" It was go time! That's right, I went from 4 cm to 10 cm in 2 HOURS! Crazy!

@ 6:50 or so she started to have me push to see how things were going to go. She asked if I wanted to use the mirror and at first I said no. There was something about seeing my lady part in that state that freaked me out. This particular nurse was also a midwife and she had a great way of explaining things and encouraged me to try it so I could see what my pushes were doing. So I agreed and I have to say, I'm glad I did. I got to not only see my little start to poke through, but I could see what my hard work was doing and it definitely motivated me to get him out!

Around 7 p.m. the doctor arrived, Darren on one side, my mom on the other and three nurses were standing by, and I really started to push and 38 minutes later...Isaiah Jonathan Moss arrived! He definitely made a splash into this world (literally, his head was acting as a dam so the rest of the amniotic fluid shot out over Dr. Bales's head, it was pretty funny. I actually laughed). They immediately put him on my chest and I was in awe. Darren and my mom were crying while I had tears in my eyes. It was the perfect moment. They let me hold him for an hour before they weighed him and vitamin K shot (they did the APGAR on my chest). They handed him to Darren and then my mom had a turn while I ate the best turkey sandwich ever! When he came back to me, he immediately wanted to nurse and that's what he continued doing for the next few hours.

When we got to our post partum room, he was very tired (it was hard work for him too!) and slept very well that night. Darren and I on the other hand had a lot of trouble sleeping. We were both exhausted but both couldn't believe this little person who relied on mama for the last 9 months could now lay in a bassinet by himself and be OK while he slepts. Darren literally stood over the bassinet and watched him while I slept. :) So I guess that's where the "worried parents" thing begins...

Giving birth is truly a miracle, it felt so right looking at his face for the first time. Darren and I said he's the best of me and him put together! It was a beautiful moment. I will NEVER forget it! Happy birthday to me!

BORN FEBRUARY 8TH, 2011 @ 7:38 p.m.
7 lbs. 13 oz., 20 inches


  1. What a perfect story Caitlin. Glad to know everything went well and your baby boy is here safe and sound. You have a very beautiful family. I can't wait to mee the little stud muffin.

  2. I am dying! I want to hold Isaiah so bad!! This is torture! Miss you and love all three of you! You are amazing and I am so proud of you!

  3. What a great story! thanks for sharing and for sharing all the new pics! Congrats to you and your family!