Monday, January 17, 2011

37 Weeks - Officially On Maternity Leave!



We are FULL TERM! We can all breathe a sigh of relief - we made it! I had my last day of work on Friday and I'm officially scheduled to do nothing but rest, relax, and get ready for baby. I feel surprisingly calm about everything right now. When Dr. Bales said her guess was Isaiah would be born around today (the 17th), I got very excited and anxious (so did Darren). While I would love for my water to break rrrright...now, I'm OK if it doesn't. Isaiah will be here when he's ready to discover this big world! Darren is ready for Isaiah to get here though - he's ready to go on paternity leave and get his turn holding this baby!

I've been feeling good for the most part. Being uncomfortable is my biggest complaint but it's all worth it. Isaiah is getting much stronger - those little kicks in my ribs that used to just tickle uncomfortably are really starting to hurt. I woke up twice the other night grimacing in pain because his sweet little foot was as far up and out as it's ever been, I had to massage his little leg so it would relax and get out. This little guy sure knows how to knock the wind right out of me! He then proceeded to give me a stiff leg on the front of my belly instead and I had Darren feel it. It was hard and strong and wouldn't budge. This was a moment where Darren really started to feel bad for me ("That was in your rib!?"). It's just one of those things he wants to make better but can't. That along with my increased lower back pain (from Isaiah's head), upper back pain (from my growing boobies), and constant cramping (which are starting to feel like menstral cramps) and Braxton Hicks (which are just constant). I'm just going with it at this point - discomfort will not last forever!

Darren and I have been going on lots of dates lately too and just really soaking up as much time together as we can. Yesterday the youth pastor at church (he's in his late 20's with 3 little girls) was talking to us and told Darren he probably won't really like the baby for the first couple of months and that's OK, he will eventually. We got a good laugh. It reminded me of how my brother-in-law calls babies "wife-stealers." I asked Darren later what he thinks when people say that and he said he's not too worried about it - it's going to be different but at least we get another person to hang out with. He's so positive! :)



Your baby is now considered "full term," even though your due date is three weeks away. If you go into labor now, his lungs will likely be mature enough to fully adjust to life outside the womb. (Some babies need a bit more time, though. So if you're planning to have a repeat c-section, for example, your practitioner will schedule it for no earlier than 39 weeks unless there's a medical reason to intervene earlier.)

Your baby weighs 6 1/3 pounds and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (like a stalk of Swiss chard). Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children come out as blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz.

1 comment:

  1. Caitlin, what a beautiful pregnant woman you are! Can't wait to hear about the birth!!!

    ReplyDelete